About Me

My photo
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving - Lao Tzu

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Easy Rider....without an "eph"

Disclaimer: The keyboard I'm using is missing the letter " " (the one that comes ater "e" and beore "g")..... have un deciphering!

Well, I can add one more lie experince to my collection - successully inding my way out o Hanoi on a motorbike. As planned, I picked up a scooter early yesterday morning to begin my 10-day road trip though northwest Vietnam. O course, it wouldn't be an adventure without the news that I received over breakast rom a Dutch guy at the hostel: Typhoon Hagapit, Hagaspit, Shagapot or something similar was, at that very moment pummeling Hong Kong and was headed our way. A quick check o the orecast showed that he was right. Damn. But I had already paid or the bike and the mechanic assured me that I would be ine - by the time it got to where I was headed, the storm would be downgraded to a class 2. Sweet. With that reassuring bit o insight, he helped me bungee cord my backpack to the scooter (yeah..it really is just a scooter) and sold me a heavy duty, military issue poncho or good luck. Ater one last scan o the map, I was on my way.

The skies were pretty clear as I let town, and I was just hoping that the storm would hold o long enough or me to clear the suburbs. Well, I lucked out and had great weather all the way to my irst destination, a small village called Mai-Chau. The weather was so great, in act, that I burned the hell out o my arms. The visor on my helmet is tinted - so tinted that I didn't realize the sun was shining as brightly as it was. At any rate, I managed to ind my way to the "country-side" with only two wrong turns. Beore I knew it, I was cruising the highways o Vietnam at a whopping 40km per hour! Laid down about 135 kilometers and climbed about a 1000 eet in elevation in roughly 4 hours - and the only minor complication came at my irst stop or gas. Something was seriously lost in translation as I was attempting to pay the attendant and beore I knew it, a small crowd had gathered to watch clueless oreigner sweat in the sun. The problem seemed to center on 300 dong (about 5 cents) and or the lie o me, I couldn't understand what she wanted me to do. I put money in her hands, she handed it back. I pointed at the numbers on the pump, she pointed at the numbers on the pump. I even watched careully as another man came in, got gas, paid, and recieved change - just to make sure I wasn't missing something. It's a truely humbling experience, especially when you know that while you may not be the smartest guy in the world, you're not the village idiot either, to be stymied by such a routine transaction. Ater about 20 minutes o back and orth, and ALOT o sweating on my part, she just laughed and waved me on. Just like that. I'm quickly inding the Vietnamese to be some o the nicest (or most accomodating to oreign morons) people I've met.

By 3:00 in the aternoon, I had arrived in Mai-Chou, ound a home, cracked a cold beer, and then.....the rains came.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YEAH EVAN!!

I am glad you getting out in the country! Sounds awesome. Plus what adventure wouldn't be complete without some miscommunication (I once went on an unintended tour of Hanoi trying to get to the bus station but ended going to the hospital).

The law school's email is being wierd so I will send you an email later.

Well I am off to Jackson for the weekend!! Have a great SAFE adventure!


Emilie