About Me

My photo
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving - Lao Tzu

Monday, September 22, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Early morning of my third day in Hanoi and I seem to be stabililizing - jet lag really bit me this time around. I managed to stay awake until 8:00 last night and slept right up until 4:45am! After a full day exploring the city in this oppressive heat and humidity, it's not hard to call it an early night, take a cold shower, and crash under the leaky a/c unit and ceiling fan. In the interest of finances, I've also got an interior room (which is just as well since it muffles the traffic noise) so unless the desk clerks outside my door are puttering, I can't tell what time it is anyway. 8:00, midnight, it's all the same to me. While I am enjoying my stay at the Bodega Hotel (high moldy ceilings and a ceiling fan that creaks and whomps like the rotor blades of a Huey - picture Martin Sheen flipping out in Saigon), I can't help but wonder what the well-heeled folks over at the Metropole - an old-school French colonial palace and one-time temporary home of Viet-sympathizer Jane Fonda - are doing right now. Probably being fed croissants and champagne under rattan fans by beautiful Vietnamese girls in French maid outfits....or something similar. My first trip to Hanoi was with - and financed by - my father. We called the Metropole home for a few days. Ahhh...those were the days.

No comments: