About Me

My photo
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving - Lao Tzu

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cambodia to Laos - No looking back!

Anxious to maintain my now-pleasant memories of Cambodia, it was time to leave the country - quickly. That, of course, was asking a bit too much and I ended up stuck in the near-border town of Stung Tren for a very uninspiring day. Long story short, while I was happily SOLD a ticket to the Laos border and beyond, it became infinitely more troublesome for the transport company when they realized that I was the only one who had booked a trip that day. Embarrassed about the situation they had created, they refused to tell me the bad news until I finally dragged it out of a particularly smarmy slick-haired asshole (yes...asshole) after I had sat around for two hours waiting for my now imaginary ride to the border. Typically Asian - avoid the truth at all costs in order to maintain "face." There are many things I dislike about American culture, but our tendency towards straight talking and blunt honesty is not one of them. Ah well, another guy from the bus company stepped in and we quickly came to an agreement - in exchange for a discounted room at their affiliated guesthouse, I'd spend the night in Stung Tren and hop on their fully booked bus to the border the following morning. That's all it would have taken (albeit two hours earlier) to rectify the situation. In the end, I soothed my anger by munching dragon fruit and watching back to back to back shows on the Discovery Channel and BBC (he threw in free cable tv). For the record, Stung Tren still sucks.

True to his word, first thing in the morning, I was loaded on an almost-full mini bus for the drive north to the (very) rural Cambodia-Laos border crossing. A wooden shack on the Cambodian side was separated by a 200 meter long stretch of no-man's land from another wooden shack on the Laos side. Occasionally, a random herd of goats would illegally immigrate from country to country, but that was about it. I had already arranged a Lao visa in Phnom Penh so, other than a bit of waiting and a one dollar bribe to each set of immigration officials, the transition was pretty straight forward. A short van ride and quick ferry trip later, I was on Don Det island, my home for the next couple of days. Welcome to Laos!

No comments: